Monday, December 22, 2014

Peppermint Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats

I've made some good recipes, some bad recipes, but friends, this is a great recipe.  I always make Rice Krispies treats around Christmas, and I thought it would be fun to try something with Cocoa Krispies this year.  Then, I found some really awesome Jet-Puffed Mini Marshmallows.  Who doesn't love the combination of chocolate and peppermint, especially around the holidays?!  While the marshmallows do taste minty on their own, the peppermint didn't shine through too much with the chocolate combination, so I decided to add a little mint extract to the recipe.  The last component was inspired by Kristin.  Her cake batter treats (my favorite things ever) have cream cheese frosting and cake batter in them, and I just love that idea!  Everything just seemed to come together perfectly! 

Ingredients:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup canned cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 cup dry chocolate cake batter
- 10 oz bag peppermint marshmallows (or regular mini mallows work fine, too!)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies
- sprinkles

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan on medium, melt butter, frosting, and cake mix.
2. Once melted, add marshmallows and mix until those as melted, as well.
3. Add the extract, stir once more, and take it off the heat.
4. Mix in the krispies one cup at a time.
5. Spread mixture into a greased pan (we used an 11 x 7) and decorate.
6. Allow to cool and cut into pieces.  Enjoy!

Linking up (tomorrow) for Kate and Emily's Tuesday's Recipe Swap!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

ohh these sound so good! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Rebecca Jo said...

How festive... & yummy!!!

Unknown said...

Yum! I would eat the whole box before I could gift them!

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Ohhh wow. That sounds so yummy!

Carly said...

This is genius! I love rice crispy treats-- and all things peppermint this time of the year.

Jen said...

Oh my stars!!!! I need these now.

Ally- Life as I know it said...

I made rice Krispy treats years ago and they never hardened! One of the easiest things to make and I screwed t up! I'd love to try my hand at it again! These looks yummy!!
Ally - Life as I know it

Anonymous said...

Love the chocolate and sprinkles! I think I'd have to go sans peppermint but they look so cute and festive. Great job!

Lisa C said...

These look super tasty. I make mint Rice Krispie treats with the chocolate mint marshmallows you can find around Christmas.

B @ The Sequin Notebook said...

These look so festive! They'd be perfect to give as a neighbor or co-worker gift.
xoxo B | The Sequin Notebook

Kristin said...

These would make a tasty gift! I Haven't tried a peppermint marshmallow yet!

Post a Comment

 
Design Poppiness Designs