Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The One Where I SAID YES!

AKA My Weekend... Part 2

Did you check out my weekend recap part 1 post yesterday?  Yeah, you probably thought the Electric Run was the fun part of my weekend, right?  So why the heck does she need a part 2, you wondered?  Yeah, because the subject didn't give it away, right?  Well do I have a surprise for you...

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Here's how the biggest surprise of my life went down... 

Two weekends ago, Mike went down to my hometown to ask my dad's permission [when he claimed he was playing golf on his day off].  He spent time talking to my mom as well as one of my best friends.  Yes, it is old school, but he knows how much my parents mean to me, and being an only child, they are a huge part of my life.  Oh, and because I'm the biggest pack rat in the world, my mom found the paperwork from my college ring order with my ring size on it.

A week later, last Friday, he went out ring shopping with his sister and her boyfriend.  I am so happy he involved our whole families, and even more happy Laura was so supportive of his decision!

On Sunday, my parents came up to visit Mike's mom, and Mike, my dad, one of Mike's friends, and I all played golf together.  After that, we had pizza at our house and then went to his parents' to visit his mom.  [Sidenote, I thought it was funny that he insisted on taking showers before we went to his parents' after golf.  I mean, I was meeting an aunt/uncle/cousins I hadn't met before, so I guess he wanted us to look nice?]

After being there for 20 minutes or so, Mike took out our camera and started taking some photos of everyone.  He showed his aunt how to use the camera, and she kept snapping photos of him and his mom and me and his mom.  Then, in the middle of his parents' living room with my parents, his parents, two of his aunts, and his grandmother watching, he got down on one knee.  I LOST IT.  I actually had to ask him a few hours later if I actually did say yes... I guess I did [phew]!


What's funny is that over the two days before he asked me, we were bombarded by three of his family members [including his uncle I had never meet before IN FRONT OF MY PARENTS] asking when he'd pop the question... apparently three and a half years of dating begins to warrant some questions haha.

I can't even tell you how happy I was that he chose to do it now.  It was incredible because all of our families were there, and I am especially happy his mom was able to be a part of it since we are pretty sure she won't be there for our wedding.  He told me later that he thought it was extra special to ask me there, in the middle of his parents' living room, because that was the first place he ever saw me, over four years ago  I think I've said this before, but if not, Mike's sister was my roommate during junior year of college, so that's how we met! 

Throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening, lots of family was already planning to stop by to see Mike's mom, so it was great that I got to tell so many people right away.  Other than that, the last few days have been a long stream of phone calls, jumping up and down, and smiles during this much needed time.  
He looks pretty happy with himself, doesn't he?!

My mom and his dad :)

Beautiful Laura who has been so supportive!

Yaaayy more family!

I'm sorry that this post does not have the best grammar ever, I was just so excited to share everything with you all, I wanted to get it all on paper, and don't want to forget a single moment!


32 comments:

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

that is so sweet, love that he asked your folks first. Mr T did the same thing and it was so special to me. congratulations!

Jackie said...

COngratulations :)

Angi said...

Awwwwww what a perfect proposal! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Amanda said...

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful proposal :) I love that he went and asked for your parents' permission before doing it :)

Kristina said...

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you Meg!!! Such beautiful news!!! :)

Kristin said...

Congratulations! So very happy for you and Mike! It's wonderful that your family was able to be there.

Lisa C said...

Congrats! What a sweet story :)

Adriana from Glitter & Sarcasm said...

WOOOO!!! Congrats Meg!!!! I'm so excited for you!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Yaaayy!

Sarah @ To Be Mrs. Collier said...

Congratulations sweet girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, how exciting! Wishing you and Mike years of happiness!

Kristyn said...

Woo hoo!! Congrats! That is so exciting. I remember getting engaged like it was yesterday! And writing the blog post about it just made it that much more real to me! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS! Sooooo happy for you and Mike!

I'm jumping up and down here in Maryland with you! :D

Adria said...

Congratulations Meg, I am so happy for you and Mike. This post actually made me tear up! I wish you and Mike all the wealth of love and happiness that you both deserve.

Heather @ From Here to There said...

YAY YAY YAY!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! So excited and happy for you friend!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :)

Megalin said...

Oh my gosh how exciting! What an awesome way to get proposed to! Yay, congrats!

Amanda @ Mandaloves Blog said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!!!! Just in case you couldn't tell from phone calls, texts and fb :)

Amanda @ Mandaloves Blog said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!!!! Just in case you couldn't tell from phone calls, texts and fb :)

Jen said...

I am so excited for you guys!!! :) congratulations!

Vanessa L. said...

Congratulations! I was tearing up while reading this. I love how your families were involved =)

Her Heart Proclaims ♥

Christine said...

Congratulations again! That picture of you with your mom is so sweet!

Jamie Hart said...

Oh my goodness.. I started crying just looking at the pictures. How sweet-- I'm still crying. (really disliking you right now ) Congrats, what a wonderful thing it is to be engaged and even though I don't know you, I'm stoked. I'm dropping in by way of the walk about and I'm so happy I stopped in. I wish you ALL the happiness and blessings in the world!!!!!!

The Southern Thing said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so happy and excited for y'all!!

Purrincup said...

So happy for you!!

Ginny Williams said...

Aweeeeeeeee Meg this was so precious! My eyes were getting heavy with tears reading this. What a great proposal! Your ring is gorgeous...so unique! He is DEFINITELY a keeper if he asked your parents! Matthew did that as well and my dad still talks about that till this day. It doesn't matter if it is old school...it is respectful and says SO much about the man.

Congrats girl! Can't wait to get your goodies this weekend! :)

PS: Boxed cakes rock!!

Ginny
www.buttergirldiaries.com

Kelly said...

Woo hoo! Congrats again, chica! I love those first few pictures from when he proposed, I can tell how emotional and happy you were. So sweet :)

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I totally missed this! SO happy for yall!

Sarah said...

I don't read for a few months and I come back to THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How wonderful!! I saw the other post with the close ups of the ring and girl, he did so well!!! I love it! So happy for you. Enjoy being engaged and planning the wedding!

Alex said...

Meg, thanks for sending me the link! Needless to say I had the biggest grin while reading your exciting news! Congrats again… he did a great job!

- Alex @ Radiating Sunshine
alexmhons.blogspot.com

Megan @ Chicago Girl said...

So cute! I love tradition, and how he made a point to ask your dad. So sweet!

Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate said...

Happy engagement anniversary this week!! I'm so glad you shared a link to this post today! I'm sitting here in happy tears after reading this beautiful story! So happy for you, living out your happily ever after, Mrs. Taylor! ;)

Post a Comment

 
Design Poppiness Designs